Morris County was originally organized as Wise County in 1855 and named for Henry A. Wise who was Governor of Virginia during John Brown's seizure of Harper’s Ferry.
The county name was changed to Morris in February 1859, in honor of Thomas Morris, a United States Senator in 1832 from Ohio who was an opponent of slavery and died in 1844.
Known for being the last place to stop and purchase supplies before heading west on the Santa Fe Trail, Morris County is rich in history.
The ruts from the numerous wagon trains are still visible out across the scenic Flint Hills. Agricultural interests dominated the early development of Morris County and is still the prominent industry today.